Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar and Manisha Singh
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Monday mounted an unprecedented confrontation with the Centre demanding action against some police officials while asking the honest among them to take leave and join the dharna near the seat of power in the heart of the capital.
Kejriwal and his cabinet colleagues had wanted to sit on a dharna outside Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s North Block office, however, they were stopped near the Rail Bhawan and refused permission to head to Rajpath.
Kejriwal and others have occupied a small garden near the Rail Bhawan. He said that he will not budge till his demands are met. Kejriwal`s protest has led to massive traffic jams in central Delhi; four metro stations have also been shut.
Kejriwal said that he and other members of the cabinet are willing to continue the protest, even if it takes 10 days, till their demands are met. The Chief Minister said that they will run the Delhi government from the street side if the need be.
The AAP chief has also asked the people of Delhi to join him in his protest sit-in. Reports are coming in that the police have started taking arresting AAP leaders.
Security at the venue of the protest has been increased. As per reports, three more battalion of the ITBP have moved in and also more CRPF personnel are also said to be reaching the protest site.
Meanwhile, a scuffle today broke out between AAP supporters and policemen outside Rail Bhavan. The incident occurred when police disconnected Kejriwal`s audio system prompting angry response from the AAP supporters. The police pushed some of the supporters when they tried to break barricades.
The MHA said that it had no immediate plans of removing Kejriwal from dharna, even as Delhi police detained some of AAP supporters. Reports have also come in hat Kejriwal plans to spend the night outside Rail Bhavan.
Later AAP leaders Yogendra Yadav, Sanjay Singh and Ashutosh joined the dharna against the Delhi police. Kejriwal reportedly said that what was the point of celebrating Republic Day when women were getting raped in Delhi. He also said that the Centre was to be blamed if the dharna was hampering preparations for Republic Day.
On the other hand, The Delhi Congress chief, Arvinder Singh Lovely said that he would start an agitation if action was not taken against the Law Minister.
He also hit back at Kejriwal and said that government should be run within the Constitutional norms.
Expressing his regret over the situation where a Chief Minister is protesting on the street, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said, “He should maintain dignity of his office especially when Lt Governor has assured a judicial inquiry. He should have patience, he should cooperate.”
Shinde added, on matters like action against police officers, generally, the probe is conducted by a senior official but in this case the Lt Governor has gone a step ahead and ordered a judicial probe.
Meanwhile, members of the Mahila Congress are holding a protest outside the Delhi Police Headquarters demanding that action be taken against Delhi Law Minister Somnath Bahrti. The law minister has been accused of misbehaving with a African women.
While the Delhi government is on a dharna against the central government, a group of “contract and guest teachers” working in Delhi Government schools are on a dharna outside Kejriwal`s office, Delhi Secretariat, demanding that AAP government fulfill its election promise that they would be regularised.
Before he began his sit-in, Kejriwal addressed the crowd gathered outside the Rail Bhawan and said:
- Rapes are continuing in Delhi. And the Delhi Police is only investigating
- Someone should take responsibility for the incident whether a constable or an official
- We met Delhi Police chief, Sushilkumar Shinde and demanded suspension of SHO of where rape took place
- We said that if there is sex or drug racket taking place it can`t take place without complicity of police
- We asked for suspension of officials where a woman was burnt by her in-laws. But nothing was done
- Kejriwal: Some people from Congress, BJP and media said that Bharti should not work for the people
- A woman from the Ugandan High Commission has praised Somnath Bharti`s raid. She said a lot of women were brought here on promise of employment & taken in flesh trade
- Without the complicity of police the crimes that continue in the city cannot possibly take place
- A corpse was found in Somnath Bharti`s area. Not a single police officer answered his call
- For one hour Somnath Bharti had been calling the police but no one responded
- We have gathered here today to seek justice for all those women who are raped and burnt
- In her constituency there are people asking for Rakhi Birla`s help. Shouldn`t she help them?
- Should a leader stay home under his blanket or should he be with the public seeking justice? The media calls this vigilantism
- Delhi Police takes money from autorickshaw drivers. It has taken money to not take action on lawlessness
- Making a house in Delhi has become impossible without bribing the police
- Public should think why there was a need for Delhi CM to organise a dharna
-There is a former home secretary who said SHOs send money to Shinde for postings
- I said inquiry is fine but at least transfer the SHOs but Shindesaab refused to do even that
- How can prostitution thrive in Delhi without the knowledge of Police?
- We cannot consider Jan 26 as Republic Day when women are unsafe.Today is Republic Day as we gather here and fight for justice
- We want all the people of Delhi to come here to protest against Delhi police
- Delhi Police officials tired of this corruption should take leave, join us here. Will help you against Delhi police commissioner
- Many cops have come to me. They want to work honestly but are forced to take money by seniors
- We have to maintain peace during the `dharna`
- Some say I am an anarchist, yes I am. There is lawlessness in every home in the city. Today I`ll spread disorder in the HM`s house
- No govt has done what we have done till now. The Chief Minister will remain on dharna till our demands are met.
- If there is a constitutional crisis, the central govt, PM and HM is responsible, not us
Also Read: Congress was divided on backing Arvind Kejriwal`s AAP : Chidambaram
The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), which rose to power riding the wave created by Anna Hazare`s Jan Lokpal movement, is adamant on its demand that policemen who allegedly refused to cooperate with Law Minister Somnath Bharti in cracking down on a suspected drug and prostitution racket in South Delhi, be suspended or atleast transferred.
The Delhi Police, which reports to the Lt Governor, has stood its ground against taking action without a thorough probe. Also, the police have contended they could not have taken any action solely based on Bharti`s orders.
The AAP government had also sought action against a policeman who had a tiff with Women and Child Development Minister Rakhi Birla in Sagarpur of West Delhi over a dowry death case. The Chief Minister had also blamed police for the way in which it handled the gang-rape case of a Danish tourist on Tuesday.
The Home Ministry has, meanwhile, sought a report from the Delhi Police over the three incidents. Official sources said the Home Ministry wanted to know the facts in the cases before deciding on taking action against policemen.
The BJP has hit out at the AAP government and said that it is not focusing on governance. "The AAP is more comfortable doing a dharna than in the Sachivalaya," senior party leader Arun Jaitley said in his blog.