Andaman and Nicobar Command celebrates Raising Day
Port Blair: Andaman and Nicobar Command
(ANC), the country`s first integrated theatre command,
celebrated its 11th Raising Day on Saturday.
On this occasion, the unified command comprising the
Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard conducted a ceremonial
parade reviewed by Commander-in-Chief Lt Gen NC Marwah.
Aircraft of the command -- Chetaks, Mi8s and Dorniers
-- undertake fly-past during the parade held at the Naval
In his message Lieutenant Governor Bhopinder Singh
said the ANC played a significant role in providing relief to
affected people during the Tsumami of 2004.
The command also contributed to the development of the
Islands which were no longer seen as distant outposts but
as vital gateways to the East, Singh said.
The ANC, which operates directly under the Chiefs of
Staff Committee (COSC), was commissioned on October 8, 2001.
Its duties include safeguarding the Island as well as
the national maritime boundaries and air space, search and
rescue at the sea and anti-poaching operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir