Andaman and Nicobar Command celebrates Raising Day
Port Blair: Andaman and Nicobar Command
(ANC), the country`s first integrated theatre command,
celebrated its 11th Raising Day on Saturday.
On this occasion, the unified command comprising the
Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard conducted a ceremonial
parade reviewed by Commander-in-Chief Lt Gen NC Marwah.
Aircraft of the command -- Chetaks, Mi8s and Dorniers
-- undertake fly-past during the parade held at the Naval
In his message Lieutenant Governor Bhopinder Singh
said the ANC played a significant role in providing relief to
affected people during the Tsumami of 2004.
The command also contributed to the development of the
Islands which were no longer seen as distant outposts but
as vital gateways to the East, Singh said.
The ANC, which operates directly under the Chiefs of
Staff Committee (COSC), was commissioned on October 8, 2001.
Its duties include safeguarding the Island as well as
the national maritime boundaries and air space, search and
rescue at the sea and anti-poaching operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'