Andamans boat tragedy: PM announces relief
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday announced ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh for the kin of each of those killed in a boat tragedy Sunday when a tourist boat capsized in the Andamans.
"PM condoles the loss of lives in the Andamans boat tragedy and sanctions an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh to the next of kin of each deceased," the prime minister`s office said in a comment on Twitter.
At least 21 people were killed when an over-crowded tourist boat with 43 people on board capsized in the Andaman Sea near Port Blair. One person was reported still missing.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, however, placed the toll at 28.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India