Andamans boat tragedy: PM announces relief
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday announced ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh for the kin of each of those killed in a boat tragedy Sunday when a tourist boat capsized in the Andamans.
"PM condoles the loss of lives in the Andamans boat tragedy and sanctions an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh to the next of kin of each deceased," the prime minister`s office said in a comment on Twitter.
At least 21 people were killed when an over-crowded tourist boat with 43 people on board capsized in the Andaman Sea near Port Blair. One person was reported still missing.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, however, placed the toll at 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam