Anderson release: BJP has proof on Cong role
New Delhi: The BJP on Thursday hit out at the Congress over the release of former Union Carbide chief Warren Anderson after the 1984 Bhopal gas tragedy, saying there was a "lot of evidence" to prove that the then Rajiv Gandhi government "strategically downplayed Union Carbide`s liability".
BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters here that there "was a conspired attempt to ensure safe passage of Anderson".
The BJP also slammed the Congress for terming its criticism of Rajiv Gandhi as "unpatriotic".
"How can the Congress say it is unpatriotic to criticize Rajiv Gandhi? We condemn outright this undemocratic comment of the Congress party," Prasad said.
He charged the then Congress government with "knowingly" facilitating Anderson`s safe passage.
Holding out a newspaper clipping of Dec 7, 1984 (the day of Anderson`s arrest and release) as "evidence", Prasad told reporters here that the Union Carbide statement published on that day in American dailies was a confirmation of the "conspiracy of assuring safe passage to Anderson".
The company statement as published in the Pittsburgh Press said: "A company statement issued at its headquarters in Danbury said the arrest violated an Indian government promise to provide Anderson with safe passage. Warren Anderson went to India fully expecting to be of assistance and was provided with safe passage assurances from the Indian government."
Gordon Streeb, who was then the deputy chief of mission at the American embassy here, told IANS Tuesday that Anderson came to India only after getting an assurance of "safe passage" from New Delhi.
Also, referring to recent newspaper reports, Prasad said Streeb had spoken openly that when Anderson was arrested, he asked the ministry of external affairs to intervene.
"It is clear that this step was taken by the government of India when Rajiv Gandhi was the Prime Minister. There was an agreement and Arjun Singh (the then Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister) executed it. So, such a person (Anderson) who is responsible for the massacre of around 15,000 people, was taken to Delhi on a government plane," Prasad said.
He said even if there was a security issue in Bhopal, Anderson need not have been flown out of the country.
"You could have kept him in Delhi or Jabalpur. There is lot of evidence that proves that the government of India strategically downplayed Union Carbide`s liability," Prasad said, alleging that the Congress was "telling lies".
Anderson, who was briefly arrested in Bhopal December 7, 1984 and then quickly released on bail, was later declared a proclaimed offender by an Indian court. He is now retired and lives in the US.
Tonnes of lethal gas leaked from the Union Carbide pesticide plant in Bhopal on the night of Dec 2-3 in 1984, killing nearly 3,000 people instantly and many thousands over the years.
BJP facilitated activities of Dow Chem in Gujarat: Cong
"If any fingers are to be pointed, they should be
pointed at BJP which took donation from Dow Chemicals. It`s
their government in Gujarat in which they have had
colloborations with Dow Chemicals. They are faciliating the
initiatives of Dow Chemicals in their states," Congress
spokesperson Manish Tewari told reporters here.
To a question about reports of a US diplomat saying that
the Ministry of External Affairs was involved in ensuring safe
passage to Union Carbide India chief Warren Anderson in 1984,
he said "since there is a GoM and it has been given the
mandate, it will be appropriate to wait for its outcome than
indulging in speculation."
To a volley of questions that the GoM comprised of
ministers who are said to be sympathetic to Dow Chemicals and
even the Left have pointed it out, Tewari said "all the
people, who are in GoM, are public figures, who are in
politics for the last 25-30 years and it would be
inappropriate to impute motive to anyone".
"The Prime Minister has the prerogative to constitute a
GoM. He has done it in his wisdom...in a constructive manner,
we should wait for the outcome", said Tewari to a pointed
question of the Left crticism of GoM`s members.
Asked about an internal report prepared by the legal
cell which said Anderson would have been lynched had be been
allowed to stay in Bhopal, Tewari said "the GoM will look
into all related issues".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared