Andhra Pradesh hit by heavy rains, thousands evacuated; toll at 29
Zee Media Bureau
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh is bracing for heavy to very heavy rains on Saturday with Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy directing the state administration to be on alert and conduct relief operations on a war-footing.
The state has been hit by deluge following heavy rains over the last five days, with the death toll rising to 29 today.
The floods have already damaged crops in 4.34 lakh hectares, while also paralysing normal life.
Evacuations are being carried out on war-footing with over 70,000 people already moved out of affected areas to relief camps. Among the worst affected districts are Srikakulam, Visakhapatnam, Guntur and Prakasam, and also the Telangana region.
According to the Met department, the state has received an average rainfall of between 4 cm and 26 cm in the last 48 hours.
Rivers are already overflowing as well as drains and tanks, leading to leaving towns and villages getting inundated.
National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams have already been deployed for relief work.
"The situation is very grim as the entire Delta area is completely inundated. Drains and tanks are overflowing and there is a threat of breaches occurring at some places because of the nonstop rain," Guntur district Collector S Suresh Kumar said.
In the capital Hyderabad, Hussain Sagar Lake is full to the brim and the level may cross the danger mark if there is more rain, according to the Chief Minister`s Office.
The Railways has diverted some trains but so far, there has been no cancellation.
The Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) was however forced to cancel some bus services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia