Anganwadi workers` pay may go up again
New Delhi: The Planning Commission is thinking of raising the remuneration of Anganwadi workers, who currently earn Rs 3,000 a month.
"We need to dignify the ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services) workers. They are paid very low remunerations," Syeda Hamid, member of the commission, said late on Monday.
"There was an increase recently, when their remuneration was doubled from Rs 1,500 to Rs 3,000. We are thinking of increasing it further," Hamid said after releasing a book, ‘The Integrated Child Development Scheme: A Flagship Adrift’.
Several other changes in the scheme are being planned for the second year of the 12th Plan (2013), she said. "Transforming the Anganwadi into a creche, and fulfilling nutrition needs will be the focus of the changes we are planning."
"Serving hot or, at least, locally-cooked food will be another focus," she said, adding that the packaged food being given at several centres was not up to the mark.
Hamid said the commission`s aim was to converge ICDS with other government programmes and focus it on overall health and nutrition. Elements of promoting sanitation and clean drinking water were also being added to the scheme, she said.
The book, which Hamid released, has been written by KR Venugopal, a retired civil servant. It is based on a social audit of the scheme in Anantpur, Andhra Pradesh. The dry agrarian district is one of the least-developed areas of the southern state.
Venugopal, who was present at the book release function, said packaged food meant for Anganwadis in the district was being sold in the market and was good enough only for feeding cattle.
"We found that the packaged food, which is transported some 400-500 km from Hyderabad to Anantpur, is being sold in the market... people say it is very nutritious, but for cattle," he said.
He said the social audit of ICDS showed that Anganwadi jobs were being "sold" for Rs 30,000 in Anantpur. In some districts of the state, the price went up to Rs 70,000 and Rs 100,000, he said.
"ICDS needs to be rejuvenated and reinvented. Lot of changes are needed and social audits will show the way ahead," he said.
He even suggested raising the Anganwadi workers` remuneration to Rs 10,000.
ICDS is a flagship scheme which aims at improving the nutritional and health status of children aged up to six years, reducing mortality, morbidity and malnutrition and enhancing the capability of the mother to look after the normal health and nutritional needs of the child through proper nutrition and health education.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA