“Anguished over blind race for power & pelf”
New Delhi: In the backdrop of a series of
scams hitting the government, Congress President Sonia Gandhi
Tuesday expressed anguish over the race for power and pelf which
after a certain limit translates into mere pursuit of greed.
"Today, people are engaged in a blind race for gaining
wealth and a high post," she said at a function to release a
stamp in the memory of freedom fighter Chaudhary Ranbir Singh.
Noting that Singh retired from politics voluntarily at
the age of 64, she said the importance of such ideals hold
true in current times when there is a blind race for power and
"I get a feeling that we have drifted away from the
ideals of the Independence struggle and that of our
ancestors," Gandhi said.
In terse remarks, she said that power and wealth and the
pleasure one derives from it does not constitute everything in
"There is a limit to this pleasure and one could enjoy it
only upto a certain limit. Beyond that it is pure greed and
temptation which everyone pursues," said Gandhi, who is also
the chairperson of the ruling UPA.
She said the sacrifices made by the freedom fighters
should not be forgotten. "One should remember that if they had
been after seeking personal pleasure they would not have been
able to contribute to the freedom struggle," Gandhi said.
She stressed that the meaning of public life was to
understand the suffering of the common man and to make efforts
to lessen it.
"We have to fight the attempts to destroy our society by
spreading the poison of terrorism, communalism and casteism,"
Gandhi said efforts should be made to work for the
welfare of the people by keeping aside personal gain.
Earlier, Gandhi released a stamp in honour of Chaudhary
Ranbir Singh on his first death anniversary.
The function was attended by Singh`s son and Haryana
Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, Communications Minister
Kapil Sibal, Minister of State for Communications Sachin Pilot
and President of the All India Freedom Fighters` Organisation
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery