Anna accuses UPA of "betrayal" on Lokpal, threatens fresh stir
Allahabad: Accusing the Centre of "betrayal" on the Lokpal Bill, anti-corruption activist Anna Hazare on Friday threatened to launch a fresh stir at Ramlila ground in Delhi later this year to raise the pitch over the issue.
"After the Parliament had passed a resolution in favour of a strong Lokpal Bill, the Prime Minister had given us a written assurance that our concerns would be addressed and a strong and effective ombudsman will be in place. Two years have elapsed since then", Hazare told reporters here.
"This is an act of betrayal on part of the government which is refusing to fulfil its promise to the nation", the noted Gandhian, who made a brief halt in the city while on his way to Rewa in the neighbouring state of Madhya Pradesh, said.
"We will not take it lying down. I have decided to launch a fresh stir at the Ramlila ground in Delhi. The date has not been finalised yet, but it would most probably be in October-November.
"We will compel the insensitive political establishment to pay heed to the voice of the nation", Hazare added.
Hazare`s 12-day-long fast at the Ramlila Ground in August, 2011 had received international attention and eventually led to a resolution being passed during a special session of the Parliament wherein it had agreed in principle on some of the suggestions made by the anti-graft activist and his associates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand