Anna, aides to discuss future course of action
Mumbai: Days after parting ways with Arvind Kejriwal, social activist Anna Hazare is expected to hold talks with his aides soon to discuss the future course of the anti-corruption movement.
“The main issue (to be) discussed is how the agitation can be taken forward. The priority of demands to be taken up like the right to recall (elected representatives), the set-up of the Lokpal and strengthening the Lokayukta in Maharashtra will also be decided. This will be like starting from scratch as some of his main strategists have broken away from him,” a Hazare associate told DNA.
“The agitation was becoming loud, it was necessary to make it comprehensive,” the aide said, adding that Hazare’s campaign would get strengthened post his split with Kejriwal.
According to him, Hazare had discussed with leading social activists as to whether the anti-corruption movement should have taken a political turn.
“These people stressed the need for a comprehensive movement against corruption…. which would be apolitical in nature,” said the Hazare associate.
“Any social movement always makes a political demand, it is a pressure group,” he said. “We will not abandon the demand to set up the Lokpal,” he added.
Hazare has asked Kejriwal’s party, which has yet to be named, not to use his name or photo for any purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened