Anna and his team should contest elections: Digvijay
New Delhi: Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh on Friday welcomed the decision of Team Anna of forming a ‘People`s Party’ in 2014 to fight Lok Sabha elections.
While reacting to Anna`s interview to a news channel, Digvijaya Singh said, "We welcome this decision of Anna in politics... Anna should also contest the election. Anna, Baba Ramdev, Shanti Bhushan, Kiran Bedi, Arvind Kejriwal and all other Team Anna members should contest elections."
While talking to a news channel Anna Hazare did not rule the emergence of a "People`s Party" in 2014 Lok Sabha elections, saying it is not wrong if candidates selected by the people to fight the poll choose to do so.
"I will travel across the country, tell people to come up with candidates and pick the best out of them. I will then campaign for the candidates,” Anna added.
He said: "We will tell people who are the best candidate for them after putting the names on Internet. We’ll ask them if they want to fight as independents or as one party. Let them decide. There`s nothing wrong with a new party being formed.”
Union Minister Salman Khurshid also hit out at Team Anna, saying: “If he (Anna) wants to come, he can enter politics. When we used to say, you did not believe us. He asked a lot of questions, but now he is doing the same. He always said that `we will not contest elections` and asked that `how do these people get funds and other things to contest elections`.
In Bangalore today, Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s Office V Narayanasamy lashed out at Team Anna, terming the fast at Jantar Mantar in the national capital an attempt to "fool the people".
He said their intentions have been exposed after they "announced launching a political party".
"It is good they told very openly today that they are forming a political party. Their intentions are exposed," Narayanasamy said.
Congress also mocked Team Anna’s agitation by saying “in a democracy people have right to sit on dharna or hold agitation. Team Anna has reduced this right of the people into a joke.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm