Anna associates meet Bukhari
New Delhi: Anna Hazare`s associates Arvind
Kejriwal and Kiran Bedi met Jama Masjid imam Syed Ahmed
Bukhari here after he expressed unhappiness over their failure
to involve Muslims into their campaign, but failed to break
ice with the cleric.
Bukhari had expressed strong resentment and sought to
know why Hazare and his campaign managers had not done more to
involve Muslims in their anti-graft movement.
Following his remarks, Team Anna members met him at his
residence late last night in their attempt to clear his
apprehensions and invite the Delhi`s top cleric to the Ramlila
Maidan where Hazare is fasting.
Bukhari said he had told the activists that they also
need to address the issues of concern to the Muslim community.
"We discussed at length the issues of our concern. I laid
before them my point of view in totality. They in turn
informed us about their campaign and their goals," Bukhari
He said Hazare`s team members had also asked him to share
the stage with them and Hazare at Ramlila Maidan but he was
not inclined to go ahead.
"I told them that if you want to include Muslims in your
movement, you will also have to understand their pain and
problems, and you would do well to also highlight issues of
concern to Muslims," he said, adding the greater evil in the
country is communalism and any national movement should also
"They said they would consider the points raised by me,"
Bukhari said the "communal powers" were also playing a
part in the campaign and they would never want Muslims to be
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family