Anna campaign ‘somewhat artificial’: Irom Sharmila
Imphal: Irom Sharmila, who has been on fast
close to 11 years to demand the repeal of the Armed Forces
Special Powers Act (AFSPA) in Manipur, feels Anna Hazare`s
campaign against corruption is "somewhat artificial."
Called the `Iron lady of Manipur`, 37-year-old Sharmila
also urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to treat her like
Hazare, who on Sunday ended his 12-day fast against corruption
that shook the nation.
"It`s (Anna Hazare`s movement) somewhat artificial, how
can we eradicate corruption? In my case I am a simple woman
who wants to reform society. I have no idea about social
activists or social workers," she told TV channels today.
Sharmila however said she revered the 74-year-old
crusader against corruption.
She also voiced her disappointment at Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh not keeping his promise of amending the Armed
Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA).
"I don`t like his (the Prime Minister`s) leadership.
When he couldn`t keep his promise, it is a shame". Singh had
made the promise in 2004 when he was on a visit to Imphal.
"I would like to request that please sir look at me like
Anna Hazare,people of this whole nation just like in God`s
eyes are equal. So without discrimination treat me," she said,
adding "I would just like to request him(prime minister)
...change your mindset."
Sharmila claimed that the Union government and its
observers feel that north east people are inefficient and that
they are not like mainland. "They don`t like to treat us like
Anna," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm