Anna campaign ‘somewhat artificial’: Irom Sharmila
Imphal: Irom Sharmila, who has been on fast
close to 11 years to demand the repeal of the Armed Forces
Special Powers Act (AFSPA) in Manipur, feels Anna Hazare`s
campaign against corruption is "somewhat artificial."
Called the `Iron lady of Manipur`, 37-year-old Sharmila
also urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to treat her like
Hazare, who on Sunday ended his 12-day fast against corruption
that shook the nation.
"It`s (Anna Hazare`s movement) somewhat artificial, how
can we eradicate corruption? In my case I am a simple woman
who wants to reform society. I have no idea about social
activists or social workers," she told TV channels today.
Sharmila however said she revered the 74-year-old
crusader against corruption.
She also voiced her disappointment at Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh not keeping his promise of amending the Armed
Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA).
"I don`t like his (the Prime Minister`s) leadership.
When he couldn`t keep his promise, it is a shame". Singh had
made the promise in 2004 when he was on a visit to Imphal.
"I would like to request that please sir look at me like
Anna Hazare,people of this whole nation just like in God`s
eyes are equal. So without discrimination treat me," she said,
adding "I would just like to request him(prime minister)
...change your mindset."
Sharmila claimed that the Union government and its
observers feel that north east people are inefficient and that
they are not like mainland. "They don`t like to treat us like
Anna," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka