Anna campaign ‘somewhat artificial’: Irom Sharmila
Imphal: Irom Sharmila, who has been on fast
close to 11 years to demand the repeal of the Armed Forces
Special Powers Act (AFSPA) in Manipur, feels Anna Hazare`s
campaign against corruption is "somewhat artificial."
Called the `Iron lady of Manipur`, 37-year-old Sharmila
also urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to treat her like
Hazare, who on Sunday ended his 12-day fast against corruption
that shook the nation.
"It`s (Anna Hazare`s movement) somewhat artificial, how
can we eradicate corruption? In my case I am a simple woman
who wants to reform society. I have no idea about social
activists or social workers," she told TV channels today.
Sharmila however said she revered the 74-year-old
crusader against corruption.
She also voiced her disappointment at Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh not keeping his promise of amending the Armed
Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA).
"I don`t like his (the Prime Minister`s) leadership.
When he couldn`t keep his promise, it is a shame". Singh had
made the promise in 2004 when he was on a visit to Imphal.
"I would like to request that please sir look at me like
Anna Hazare,people of this whole nation just like in God`s
eyes are equal. So without discrimination treat me," she said,
adding "I would just like to request him(prime minister)
...change your mindset."
Sharmila claimed that the Union government and its
observers feel that north east people are inefficient and that
they are not like mainland. "They don`t like to treat us like
Anna," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Bank employees to go on strike on Friday, services to be hit
- Avg 49 days of employment generated in 2015-16 under MGNREGA: Govt
- Turkey`s post-coup purge: almost 16,000 detained, 50,000 fired
- Death sentences upheld for six Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh militants in 2005 bombings
- Oh Air India! 11,000 flights rescheduled, 16,000 flights delayed till June 2016