Anna counsel to drag Tewari to court
Pune: Even as Congress spokesman Manish Tewari on Thursday expressed regret over his remarks against Anna Hazare, the Gandhian`s lawyer said, a case of defamation would be filed against the Lok Sabha MP in a court here next week.
"We will file a case against Manish Tewari under IPC Section 500 for the defamatory remarks made by him against Hazare on August 14, describing him as a corrupt person at a public forum," advocate Milind Pawar told a news agency here.
Pawar, who returned to the city from Delhi last night, said Hazare`s secretary had given him a go ahead for filing of the criminal complaint against the Congress MP from Punjab.
Tewari`s comments just before Hazare began his fast on August 16 evoked strong reactions from the supporters of the anti-corruption crusader.
The Congress spokesman, who accused Hazare of being "steeped in corruption from head to toe", has not been briefing the media since his personal attack on the
Asked, why the matter was being pressed by the Hazare camp even after Tewari publicly expressed regret for his remarks, the lawyer said the acceptance of guilt on his part did not mean that he should go unpunished for his "insolent" utterances against the veteran social activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India