Anna directly blames PC for his arrest on Aug 16
New Delhi: Anna Hazare on Sunday directly blamed
Home Minister P Chidambaram for his arrest on August 16 when
he was to launch his fast and claimed that there was a plan to
bundle him out of the capital as was done to Yoga guru Ramdev.
Hazare, who was arrested on the morning of August 16 and
sent to 7-day judicial custody for trying to defy prohibitory
orders, said he refused to come out of the jail after the
government decided to release him.
"I was sent to Tihar Jail and I was given the jail
uniform. When I was about to take some rest, one police
officer came and told me that I have been released," he told
his supporters at his one-day token fast here.
"When the top police official told me that I have come
out of jail and can`t go back, I told him I will remain in his
office only. There was a plan to take me directly to airport
and put me in an Air Force plane and take me to Pune," he
"They wanted to do the same as they did with Ramdev baba
in June. They wanted to take me out of the capital. Whose is
behind these? Chidambaram. He is behind these," he said.
After Hazare`s arrest, Chidambaram had strongly defended
the move and said the Gandhian was taken into custody after
Delhi Police came to a conclusion that he and his supporters
would commit a "cognisable offence" by defying prohibitory
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had then told Parliament
that Hazare and six others were arrested as a preventive
measure by Delhi Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!