Anna effect: Burney to launch movement in Pakistan
Islamabad: Pakistani rights activist Ansar
Burney said on Monday he would launch a campaign against
corruption and terrorism in his country after Eid-ul-Fitr,
mirroring an anti-graft drive by Anna Hazare in India that has
gained thousands of followers.
Pakistan is confronting a "dire and painful period in its
history, with rampant and continuously growing corruption and
terrorism destroying every fabric of our nation and any
prospects of a decent future for our children and
grandchildren", Burney said in a statement.
Burney made no reference to Hazare, whose movement has
captured the public imagination in India, but said his
movement would get underway after the Islamic festival of
Eid-ul-Fitr that will be celebrated at the end of this month.
"It is now up to civil society to take steps to rid the
country of this evil before it is too late, and the Ansar
Burney Trust will kick-start a massive anti-corruption
campaign and anti-terrorism movement following Eid as a first
step towards saving our country," he said.
Burney said his proposed movement is aimed at bringing
"the nation together and making a stand that corruption will
no longer be tolerated".
The campaign will "expose the corrupt, whether they are in
politics, our bureaucracy, education institutions, law
enforcement agencies, businesses, charities, sports or even
the judiciary", he said.
He alleged that politicians had "joined hands and
completely plundered this country to the brink of
Burney`s announcement came at a time when Hazare is
leading a major anti-corruption movement in India galvanising
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?