Anna fears removal, asks supporters to jail bharo
New Delhi: Fasting Anna Hazare on Wednesday asked his supporters not to stop police if they evicted him forcibly from the Ramlila ground where he has been on a hunger strike for the last nine days.
The veteran activist demanding a sweeping anti-corruption law appealed to thousands of his supporters not to resort to violence in any case.
"My appeal to you is please maintain peace. If they evict me, please don`t stop them," Hazare addressed the crowd amid a huge applause.
He said it was government`s conspiracy to provoke violence. "If you stop them, violence may break out. We will maintain calm. Doesn`t matter if I have to go to jail."
The social activist said if his supporters resorted to violence, the government would be able to trip the movement. "Please picket MPs` houses and court arrest there if I am removed from here."
"The true face of the government has come out. This is an autocratic face," he said, after talks between the government and his aides failed to achieve any breakthrough to solve the logjam.
Hazare`s aide Arvind Kejriwal said the government had done a "U-turn" over the strong Lokpal bill. "We asked (Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee) what if Anna Hazare continues his fast. He (Mukherjee) said if Anna doesn`t break his fast, it is his and your problem. Go and solve it."
Kejriwal alleged that the government was planning to forcibly evict Hazare and take him to some other place at around 4 a.m.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi