Anna gets MCD nod to protest at Ramlila
New Delhi: Anna Hazare has been given
permission by the local civic body to stage protest at the
Ramlila Maidan here from December 27 if a strong Lokpal Bill
is not passed by Parliament during the ongoing Winter session.
The activists had applied to the Municipal Corporation of
Delhi (MCD) two days ago for allocation of the sprawling
ground with a capacity of 30,000, and sources said they have
been given the permission.
They said permission had been sought to hold the protest
from December 27 to January 5.
"We will hold the protest and it will be led by Hazare,"
a senior Team Anna member said.
However, they are yet to get a No Objection Certificate
from Delhi Police without which they will not be able to hold
the protest, he said, adding it was not yet decided whether
Hazare will go on a fast.
"The mode of protest will be finalised later," he said.
If the proposed protest takes place, it will be the third
major stir in the national capital this year.
The first one was at Jantar Mantar in April when Team
Anna forced the government to set up a joint committee for
drafting the bill.
Hazare himself had earlier announced that he will
relaunch the agitation on December 22 at the end of the Winter
session of Parliament if a strong Lokpal Bill is not passed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report