Anna had high moral ground: GK Pillai
Shillong: Former Union Home Secretary G K
Pillai on Monday said anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare had a
"high moral ground" and that the Lokpal issue was being
resolved in the "spirit of democracy".
"The real problem was that the Lokpal Bill was brought
to the Parliament eight times but was never passed. People had
an impression that the Parliament was reluctant to pass the
bill. That is why high moral ground was with Anna Hazare and
he exploited it very well," Pillai said, adding that "the
matter was being resolved in the spirit of democracy".
Hoping that a `strong` Lokpal Bill would be passed by
the Parliament, Pillai said, "Corruption is big public issue
and eventually affects everybody... from the common man to the
He, however, contended that just a bill cannot root
out corruption. "People should not give bribes. The government
should also put systems in place like a citizen’s charter.
Servcie should be given in specified time-frame," Pillai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Flipkart-owned Myntra acquires Jabong for an undisclosed amount
- Sandeep Dikshit unhappy with Ajay Maken? Says can't accept a leadership whose objective was to discredit Sheila Dikshit
- Struggles never end in life, says Quantico star Priyanka Chopra
- India vs West Indies: List of records broken by Virat Kohli & Co during thumping win in 1st Test
- 2nd conviction in coal scam: Court convicts RSPL, 3 top officials