Anna had high moral ground: GK Pillai
Shillong: Former Union Home Secretary G K
Pillai on Monday said anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare had a
"high moral ground" and that the Lokpal issue was being
resolved in the "spirit of democracy".
"The real problem was that the Lokpal Bill was brought
to the Parliament eight times but was never passed. People had
an impression that the Parliament was reluctant to pass the
bill. That is why high moral ground was with Anna Hazare and
he exploited it very well," Pillai said, adding that "the
matter was being resolved in the spirit of democracy".
Hoping that a `strong` Lokpal Bill would be passed by
the Parliament, Pillai said, "Corruption is big public issue
and eventually affects everybody... from the common man to the
He, however, contended that just a bill cannot root
out corruption. "People should not give bribes. The government
should also put systems in place like a citizen’s charter.
Servcie should be given in specified time-frame," Pillai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside
- Battles in Libya's Sirte kill 34 fighters, injure over 180