Anna had high moral ground: GK Pillai
Shillong: Former Union Home Secretary G K
Pillai on Monday said anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare had a
"high moral ground" and that the Lokpal issue was being
resolved in the "spirit of democracy".
"The real problem was that the Lokpal Bill was brought
to the Parliament eight times but was never passed. People had
an impression that the Parliament was reluctant to pass the
bill. That is why high moral ground was with Anna Hazare and
he exploited it very well," Pillai said, adding that "the
matter was being resolved in the spirit of democracy".
Hoping that a `strong` Lokpal Bill would be passed by
the Parliament, Pillai said, "Corruption is big public issue
and eventually affects everybody... from the common man to the
He, however, contended that just a bill cannot root
out corruption. "People should not give bribes. The government
should also put systems in place like a citizen’s charter.
Servcie should be given in specified time-frame," Pillai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city