Anna Hazare-Arvind Kejriwal battle a `guru-chela` affair: Manish Tewari
Panaji: Dismissing the public spat between social activist Anna Hazare and AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal as a "guru-chela" affair, Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Wednesday said it was merely a "sideshow" in the greater electoral battle.
"This is a guru-chela (master-pupil) war. What does the Congress have to do with it. It is only a sideshow," Tewari said. He was addressing a press conference here ahead of the inauguration ceremony of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI).
Anna Hazare is currently engaged in a war of words with his one-time associate and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal over the alleged misuse of funds.
Tewari also said that the main concern for Indian voters was whether they should really be voting for a person and a party that backs unauthorised state surveillance on "mothers, sisters and daughters".
He was referring to the alleged snooping over a young woman, carried out at the behest of the Bharatiya Janta Party`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s close aide Amit Shah, according to an investigative report by two websites.
"The question people should think about is whether they want to live in a place where their `mothers, sisters and daughters are put under illegal surveillance`," Tewari said.
He further said that the right to privacy of the daughter as well as the father, who are caught in the eye of the surveillance controversy, was important. Also, he said that the unauthorised surveillance, which they were subjected to by individuals in government, could not be ignored.
"There is a difference between surveillance and security. They (Bharatiya Janata Party) are trying to fool people about it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog