Anna Hazare first recipient of new Canadian award
Toronto: Indian anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare is the inaugural recipient of a new Canadian award that recognises individuals who fight abuse of power and suppression of human rights.
The University of British Columbia (UBC) of Canada announced on Wednesday that Hazare has been selected as the first recipient of the Allard Prize that was instituted last year by Peter Allard, an alumnus of UBC`s law school.
This prize for international integrity is awarded to an individual, movement or organisation that has demonstrated exceptional courage and leadership in combating corruption, especially through promoting transparency, accountability and the rule of law, according to a press release issued by the UBC.
“Anna Hazare is an influential and renowned social and political activist from India,” the release stated.
“He has led popular movements to enhance government transparency and investigate and prosecute official corruption. He has also played a leading role in educating people in India about their fundamental rights and encouraging them to raise their voice against unlawful practices like corruption.”
Over 100 people and groups from around the world were nominated for the inaugural award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31