Anna Hazare not in favour of pardoning Sanjay Dutt
Pune: Even as the chorus for clemency for actor Sanjay Dutt grew louder, social activist Anna Hazare on Saturday disapproved of the demand to pardon him in a case related to the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts.
"The judiciary has given its verdict. It is not proper to interfere with the court judgement," he told reporters here when asked to comment on the pleadings from various quarters and the Bollywood for Dutt`s pardon.
On March 21, the Supreme Court upheld the conviction of the 53-year-old actor under the Arms Act and sentenced him to jail for five years.
The veteran Gandhian, however, maintained that "those who love him have the right to seek pardon for him."
Besides Press Council of India chief Markandey Katju, a former Supreme Court Judge, some prominent personalties of Bollywood have sought pardon for the filmstar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'