‘Anna Hazare ready to endorse Narendra Modi if he leaves BJP’
Washington: India`s anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare has said that he would be "happy to endorse" Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi if he left the BJP, an American media outlet has reported.
Hazare, who left for India from New York yesterday after a nearly two-week US trip, made the remarks during an interaction with the Indian-American community, academicians and think-tanks at an event organised by the Hindu Temple in Delaware on August 20, the Huffington Post reported.
"Anna Hazare did not endorse Narendra Modi. He said he did not believe in political parties and since Modi was a member of BJP, a political party, he could not endorse him.
"When pressed to endorse Modi as an individual, he responded by saying that if Modi left the BJP, he would be happy to endorse him," Muqtedar Khan, Associate Professor at the University of Delaware and a Fellow at the Institute for Social Policy and Understanding, wrote in the Huffington Post.
Anna was not available for comments when approached over phone through his US person of contact.
Khan, who moderated the question and answer session at the Delaware event, wrote that for an ethical activist, it was a very political answer.
"Anna was trying to get out of endorsing Modi without offending Modi`s supporters. But I suspect he offended the Hindu secularists by not condemning Modi and disappointed Hindu nationalists by not clearly endorsing him," said Khan.
According to Khan, Anna`s activism and his stature have put corruption on the national agenda.
"I am not sure if his solutions will work, but the awareness and urgency that he is generating could inspire others to come up with more realistic solutions," he wrote.
The reported remarks made by Anna is quite distinct from the other statements of Anna on Modi.
At an event held in the suburb of Washington on August 22, Anna had said neither Narendra Modi nor Rahul Gandhi is fit to become the Prime Minister of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next