Anna Hazare seeks Rajnath`s help in installing own statue
Gurgaon: Social activist Anna Hazare has written a letter to BJP chief Rajnath Singh, complaining that a leader of his party from Haryana was creating hurdles in the installation of his statue in Gurgaon. Hazare has urged Singh to help.
Rajnath Singh Friday met Anna Hazare`s Gurgaon-based activists at his Delhi residence following the letter he has received.
"Anna wrote to the BJP chief that party`s Haryana spokesperson, Umesh Aggarwal, was putting obstacles in the installation of his statue in Gurgaon. Gurgaon police arrested four activists from the Anna camp on a fake complaint filed by Aggarwal," an activist told a news agency.
"Though I am against installing my own statue, an activist with me, PL Kataria, and his team, was keen to install the statue at a crossing (chowk) in Gurgaon. I request you (Rajnath) to help Kataria," Anna wrote in his letter to the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief.
The letter was written Dec 29, 2013, and Hazare mentioned that Kataria has been working with him since his movement for the Lokpal bill first began.
PL Kataria and four others were arrested by Gurgaon police April 15, 2012, as they were putting up a six-foot-tall statue of Hazare at the Sector 4-7 intersection here.
"We were arrested by police on a fake complaint filed by Umesh Aggarwal. The BJP leader said in his complaint that the Sector 4 - 7 intersection was named after freedom fighter Lala Lajpat Rai, and could not be named after Anna Hazare," PL Kataria told the agency.
"An RTI application revealed that the Sector 4 -7 chowk has no name," Kataria said.
"We told Rajnath Singh that Aggarwal was busy in anti-social and anti-BJP activities. The party had expelled Aggarwal in 2010 for his activities for one year," Kataria said, adding that the BJP chief promised strict and stringent action in the matter.
Aggarwal fought the last Haryana assembly elections from Gurgaon on a BJP ticket, and lost. He was defeated by Independent Sukhbir Kataria (no relative of PL Kataria).
Sukhbir Kataria is now Youth and Sports Minister of Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match