Anna Hazare to raise issues of farmers` interests
Guwhati: Noting that country`s agrarian community continued to suffer due to apathy and ignorance, Gandhian Anna Hazare on Thursday said he will embark on a nation-wide tour from January to raise issues related to farmers` interests.
"The polls are coming up ... I will sit at the Jantar Mantar in Delhi to tell the government to make laws for farmers or go home," he said at a rally organised here by Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti of Team Anna member Akhil Gogoi.
He, however, did not specify any date for his dharna at Jantar Mantar.
Asserting that the economic condition of farmers will not improve if foreign investment came into the country, Hazare also opposed to the move of implementing FDI in retail sector.
"Policies and laws have not been formulated for their (farmers`) welfare and progress. We have not got freedom till now. So we have to now start the second freedom struggle. People should be ready to go to jail for it. Fill up the jails so that there is no space in the prisons," Hazare said.
He urged farmers to organise themselves and compel the government to make laws for their welfare, speak out against wrong policies and fight for their social, political and economic rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Centuries-old fair symbolising maize blossom begins in Himachal
- 2016 Olympics: Russia escape blanket ban, but IOC bars whistle-blower from Rio Games
- Pakistan Daily calls Nawaz Sharif's statement on Kashmir 'wishful thinking and unrealistic'
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Record fifth win sends Lewis Hamilton top
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games