Anna Hazare to raise issues of farmers` interests
Guwhati: Noting that country`s agrarian community continued to suffer due to apathy and ignorance, Gandhian Anna Hazare on Thursday said he will embark on a nation-wide tour from January to raise issues related to farmers` interests.
"The polls are coming up ... I will sit at the Jantar Mantar in Delhi to tell the government to make laws for farmers or go home," he said at a rally organised here by Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti of Team Anna member Akhil Gogoi.
He, however, did not specify any date for his dharna at Jantar Mantar.
Asserting that the economic condition of farmers will not improve if foreign investment came into the country, Hazare also opposed to the move of implementing FDI in retail sector.
"Policies and laws have not been formulated for their (farmers`) welfare and progress. We have not got freedom till now. So we have to now start the second freedom struggle. People should be ready to go to jail for it. Fill up the jails so that there is no space in the prisons," Hazare said.
He urged farmers to organise themselves and compel the government to make laws for their welfare, speak out against wrong policies and fight for their social, political and economic rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof