Anna Hazare to raise issues of farmers` interests
Guwhati: Noting that country`s agrarian community continued to suffer due to apathy and ignorance, Gandhian Anna Hazare on Thursday said he will embark on a nation-wide tour from January to raise issues related to farmers` interests.
"The polls are coming up ... I will sit at the Jantar Mantar in Delhi to tell the government to make laws for farmers or go home," he said at a rally organised here by Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti of Team Anna member Akhil Gogoi.
He, however, did not specify any date for his dharna at Jantar Mantar.
Asserting that the economic condition of farmers will not improve if foreign investment came into the country, Hazare also opposed to the move of implementing FDI in retail sector.
"Policies and laws have not been formulated for their (farmers`) welfare and progress. We have not got freedom till now. So we have to now start the second freedom struggle. People should be ready to go to jail for it. Fill up the jails so that there is no space in the prisons," Hazare said.
He urged farmers to organise themselves and compel the government to make laws for their welfare, speak out against wrong policies and fight for their social, political and economic rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month