Anna Hazare to raise issues of farmers` interests
Guwhati: Noting that country`s agrarian community continued to suffer due to apathy and ignorance, Gandhian Anna Hazare on Thursday said he will embark on a nation-wide tour from January to raise issues related to farmers` interests.
"The polls are coming up ... I will sit at the Jantar Mantar in Delhi to tell the government to make laws for farmers or go home," he said at a rally organised here by Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti of Team Anna member Akhil Gogoi.
He, however, did not specify any date for his dharna at Jantar Mantar.
Asserting that the economic condition of farmers will not improve if foreign investment came into the country, Hazare also opposed to the move of implementing FDI in retail sector.
"Policies and laws have not been formulated for their (farmers`) welfare and progress. We have not got freedom till now. So we have to now start the second freedom struggle. People should be ready to go to jail for it. Fill up the jails so that there is no space in the prisons," Hazare said.
He urged farmers to organise themselves and compel the government to make laws for their welfare, speak out against wrong policies and fight for their social, political and economic rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested