Anna Hazare, Vidya Balan lead India Day parade in US
Zee Media Bureau
New York: America`s largest India Day parade, marking the Independence Day, was held in Manhattan on Sunday, and was led by social activist Anna Hazare and Bollywood actress Vidya Balan amid a sea of Indian New Yorkers waving the tricolour flags.
The 33rd edition of the annual India Day parade down Madison Avenue yesterday featured 40 colourful floats, marching bands and convertibles and thousands of cheering revellers marching to the beat of dhols or the Indian drums.
Another highlight of the parade was a replica of the Red Fort in an 80 by 10 feet area in Manhattan near the parade route to showcase India`s heritage.
Many parade-goers along the orange, white and green lined route wore "I am Anna" paper hats to signify their support to Hazare, whose anti-corruption crusade has inspired thousands at home and abroad.
One parade-goer wore a multi-coloured turban with three miniature Indian flags stuck in it. He waved an American flag and marched with three dozen members of the Vaishnav Temple of New York in New Hyde Park.
The parade drew elected officials and political candidates, including Reshma Saujani, a Democratic candidate for public advocate and Joe Lhota, a Republican mayoral candidate ahead of the Sep 10 primary.
"I think our voice is getting more politically powerful," said Saujani, who would be New York city`s first Indian-American politician, if elected. "It`s important for the community to be out recognizing that."
"New York City`s diversity is one of its greatest strengths," said Lhota.
"What we`re really doing here is celebrating coming to America." Also joining the event organized by the Federation of Indian Associations (FIA) were former Indian Chief of Army Staff Gen V. K. Singh, Tamil film star Sarath Kumar and his wife Radika Sarath Kumar, a television and film actress.
Hazare will be ringing the opening bell at the Nasdaq stock exchange Monday morning to mark India`s Independence Day with many IT companies listed on Nasdaq.
Meanwhile, veteran community leader Thomas Abraham, founder of the Global Organization of People of Indian Origin (GOPIO) led the India Day parade organized by India cultural society of Rockland county in New City in New York Saturday.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India