Anna Hazare, VK Singh plan to resume nation-wide tour from Bihar
Washington: Former Army chief VK Singh has said he and Gandhian Anna Hazare are planning to resume their nation-wide tour from Bihar to create awareness among people for systematic changes in the country, besides recruiting volunteers to spread their message.
On a tour to the US to accompany Anna Hazare during a portion of his US trip, Gen (rtd) Singh said while they have nothing to do with the coming Lok Sabha polls, their aim is to create awareness among voters so that they elect good people and bring about a positive change.
"Our team has nothing to do with it. Our aim is very simple. Voters must choose good people so that we can bring about a positive change," he said.
"All political parties are not composed of bad people only. There are lot of good people. I am quite sure if people say that our representatives are not the representatives of the political parties the system will change. There is a difference," Singh told a news agency in an interview.
Responding to a question on news reports about him contesting the next general election on a BJP ticket, Singh refuted such media reports.
"I haven`t even thought of it so far. I am still working on this awareness mission," he said.
Singh said at the moment the whole campaign aims at bringing about awareness among the people.
"We feel that if the voter is aware, he would vote for good people and not vote the way he has voted so far. So our campaign in India is also focused on that," he said.
"We started our journey from Jaliawala Bagh, and we have been carrying on. We have done Punjab, Haryana, MP, portions of Rajasthan, and we have done Uttar Pradesh. The next state that we will go to is Bihar. Then we will see whether we go East or South, so our aim is to go to the most (part) of the country and talk to people," he said.
Singh said they have 50,000 voluteers currently, and seek more people who can reach out to each and everyone in the remote villages of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video