Anna Hazare`s advice to Arvind Kejriwal - don`t contest Lok Sabha polls
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Even as the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) prepares to contest the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, noted social crusader Anna Hazare has advised Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal to stay away from it and instead focus on providing good governance to people in his state.
Talking exclusively to Zee Media, the noted Gandhian leader said, “A lot needs to be done. After Jan Lokpal, we need few more important legislations to safeguard people`s interest and strengthen democracy in India.”
Anna also hinted that he may start a fresh agitation to press the government for bringing more legislation over Right to Recall, Right to Reject and for empowering Gram Sabhas etc.
When quizzed about the AAP`s plans to contest the upcoming Lok Sabha polls, Anna said, “I have asked the same question to Arvind Kejriwal, how will he judge the character of all candidates from his party who will contest the next polls.”
“To a question whether Arvind Kejriwal should himself contest the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, Anna said, “I think he should continue to focus on providing good governance to people in Delhi. He should not fight the 2014 Lok Sabha polls. ”
Anna`s political tip for Kejriwal comes in the wake of AAP`s decision to contest the next Lok Sabha elections in major states.
Even as AAP plans to field maximum number of candidates for 2014 Lok Sabha elections, many leaders of the new political outfit are of the view that Delhi Chief Minister should contest the upcoming polls.
It is being learnt that many AAP leaders voiced their concern during the national executive meet Sunday over Kejriwal refusing to fight the General Elections.
Reports said that some section of the party was of the view that the Delhi Chief Minister would attract the electorates as he is the most popular face of the party and projecting him as the prime ministerial candidate would help the party in garnering support in a big way.
However, Kejriwal had ruled out contesting the General Elections. "I am not contesting the Lok Sabha elections, he told reporters.
While many other party leaders want the AAP convenor to focus on Delhi, as good administration by AAP government in the national capital would help the party grow nationally.
If at all Kejriwal decides to contest the General Elections, he would certainly pose a big threat to Bharatiya Janata Party`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi and Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, who have dominated the leadership debate. The Delhi CM`s entry in the 2014 polls campaign, would certainly change the dynamics of the upcoming polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!