Anna ill-advised, can still work on govt Bill: Roy
New Delhi: Arguing that Anna Hazare should
not deride democratic institutions, NAC member Aruna Roy on Saturday said the Gandhian was "ill-advised" as there was still scope
for the civil society group to change the government`s version
of Lokpal Bill.
Referring to the Hazare camp`s assertion that sending the
government Lokpal Bill to the Standing Committee as a waste of
time, Roy said such committees are an important institution
and one should use it as much as possible.
Roy said the National Campaign for People`s Right to
Information (NCPRI), with which she is associated, has
prepared a version of Lokpal Bill and would present it before
the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Law and Justice and
"We must assert our rights. But to get rid of these
institutions would be a great disaster for all the people in
this country. Therefore we must make it work," she said.
"Our argument is that democracy is people`s right in our
system. So we must make these democratic institutions work for
us and they must work for us," she said.
Roy noted that Hazare and his associates should take
their version of Lokpal Bill to the Standing Committee.
In an apparent reference to Hazare setting a deadline to
pass the Jan Lokpal Bill, she said, "I think Annaji is ill-
advised...anyone who says my view should be the only view is
"I still believe if we all go and depose before the
Standing Committee and sufficiently with well stacked
arguments, we can change the bill around because the
government bill leaves a lot to be desired. It is a bad bill,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog