Anna invites Gen Singh to join anti-graft movement
New Delhi: Social activist Anna Hazare has invited Army Chief General VK Singh to join his movement against corruption post retirement.
"We will welcome Gen VK Singh, if he wants to get involved in this national movement after retirement," Anna said.
The message was tweeted by Team Anna member Suresh Pathare.
Though, there hasn’t been any reaction from the Army Chief, but the latest move is expected to create ripples in the political circle.
Gen VK Singh is considered to be an honest person and in the recent past has prompted the government to act fast on modernising the Army. He has also highlighted corruption within the Army.
Gen Singh, after over 40 years of service, will turn 62 on May 10 as per his service record and retire on May 31, paving way for Army Chief-designate Lt Gen Bikram Singh to take over the reins of the 1.13-million-strong Indian Army.
He dropped a bombshell during an interview saying he was offered by a bribe of Rs 14 crore to clear a deal for 600 Tatra trucks by a retired Army officer and that he had informed Defence Minister AK Antony about it.
This rocked Parliament and Antony had to order a CBI probe into the allegations, apart from giving an explanation.
Team Anna members Arvind Kejriwal and Kiran Bedi had earlier supported General VK Singh’s fight against the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez