‘Anna mad, behaving like Taliban’
New Delhi: Anna Hazare on Wednesday came under attack from CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta, who called him mad.
“Anna pagal hai... Woh Talibani farmaan sunata hai (Anna is mad... he issues Talibani diktat),” Dasgupta said, adding he is overdoing it.
The CPI leader’s remarks came a day after Hazare said those who drink should be beaten and humiliated in public, which, he believes, will force them to get rid of their habit of drinking.
The Gandhian made the controversial statement in an interview to a leading TV news channel.
However, the Gandhian also advocated giving prior warnings to drinkers before taking such steps.
In his reaction, Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari had earlier equated Anna’s suggestion to the way Taliban used to punish those who did not comply with the Sharia law.
"I think the Taliban used to say the same thing. By that analogy, you will possibly have to flog half of Kerala, three-fourth of Andhra Pradesh and about four-fifth of Punjab. So, I think that is quite a tall order," he was quoted as saying.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman also ridiculed his suggestion and said that her party does not support such radical methods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir