‘Anna mad, behaving like Taliban’
New Delhi: Anna Hazare on Wednesday came under attack from CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta, who called him mad.
“Anna pagal hai... Woh Talibani farmaan sunata hai (Anna is mad... he issues Talibani diktat),” Dasgupta said, adding he is overdoing it.
The CPI leader’s remarks came a day after Hazare said those who drink should be beaten and humiliated in public, which, he believes, will force them to get rid of their habit of drinking.
The Gandhian made the controversial statement in an interview to a leading TV news channel.
However, the Gandhian also advocated giving prior warnings to drinkers before taking such steps.
In his reaction, Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari had earlier equated Anna’s suggestion to the way Taliban used to punish those who did not comply with the Sharia law.
"I think the Taliban used to say the same thing. By that analogy, you will possibly have to flog half of Kerala, three-fourth of Andhra Pradesh and about four-fifth of Punjab. So, I think that is quite a tall order," he was quoted as saying.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman also ridiculed his suggestion and said that her party does not support such radical methods.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- No plans to restart ceasefire with NSCN-K: Home ministry
- Trio of Earth-like planets found may posses perfect conditions for life, claim scientists
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to go back to Goa after Union Cabinet reshuffle?
- Pakistan regrets US lack of appreciation for its anti-terror role
- Uttarakhand forest fires show signs of abating