‘Anna mad, behaving like Taliban’
New Delhi: Anna Hazare on Wednesday came under attack from CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta, who called him mad.
“Anna pagal hai... Woh Talibani farmaan sunata hai (Anna is mad... he issues Talibani diktat),” Dasgupta said, adding he is overdoing it.
The CPI leader’s remarks came a day after Hazare said those who drink should be beaten and humiliated in public, which, he believes, will force them to get rid of their habit of drinking.
The Gandhian made the controversial statement in an interview to a leading TV news channel.
However, the Gandhian also advocated giving prior warnings to drinkers before taking such steps.
In his reaction, Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari had earlier equated Anna’s suggestion to the way Taliban used to punish those who did not comply with the Sharia law.
"I think the Taliban used to say the same thing. By that analogy, you will possibly have to flog half of Kerala, three-fourth of Andhra Pradesh and about four-fifth of Punjab. So, I think that is quite a tall order," he was quoted as saying.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman also ridiculed his suggestion and said that her party does not support such radical methods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Rahul Gandhi condemns Istanbul airport attack, dubs it as ''cowardly attack on innocents''
- Watch: Meet Cozmo, a tiny robot with big brain and bigger personality!
- Hrithik Roshan escapes Istanbul attacks, reaches India safely!
- No Indian casualty in Turkey terror attack
- Attack on Istanbul airport inhuman: PM Narendra Modi