‘Anna mad, behaving like Taliban’
New Delhi: Anna Hazare on Wednesday came under attack from CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta, who called him mad.
“Anna pagal hai... Woh Talibani farmaan sunata hai (Anna is mad... he issues Talibani diktat),” Dasgupta said, adding he is overdoing it.
The CPI leader’s remarks came a day after Hazare said those who drink should be beaten and humiliated in public, which, he believes, will force them to get rid of their habit of drinking.
The Gandhian made the controversial statement in an interview to a leading TV news channel.
However, the Gandhian also advocated giving prior warnings to drinkers before taking such steps.
In his reaction, Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari had earlier equated Anna’s suggestion to the way Taliban used to punish those who did not comply with the Sharia law.
"I think the Taliban used to say the same thing. By that analogy, you will possibly have to flog half of Kerala, three-fourth of Andhra Pradesh and about four-fifth of Punjab. So, I think that is quite a tall order," he was quoted as saying.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman also ridiculed his suggestion and said that her party does not support such radical methods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?