Anna movement a World Bank agenda: Arundhati
New Delhi: Writer Arundhati Roy on Tuesday cast
doubts over Anna Hazare`s anti-graft campaign saying the civil
society`s Jan Lokpal Bill is a "dangerous piece of
"I am sceptical about the legislation (Jan Lokpal Bill)
itself for a good number of reasons. I think the legislation
is a dangerous piece of work," Roy said a news channel in an
Alleging that the civil society used public anger in
their favour, the Booker Prize winner novelist said "You
(civil society) used the real and legitimate anger of the
people against corruption to push through this specific piece
of legislation which is very regressive. It could have turned
from something inclusive to destructive and dangerous."
Calling the Hazare-led movement a "copy book World Bank
agenda", Roy said "It was an NGO-driven movement by Kiran
Bedi, (Arvind) Kejriwal and (Manish) Sisodia.
"Three of them run NGOs and all the three core team
members are Magsaysay Award winners... World Bank and Ford
Foundation fund the anti-corruption campaigns. This is copy
book World Bank agenda though they might have not meant it."
The writers said "Anna Hazare was picked up and propped
up as the saint for the masses. He was not the brain behind
the movement. We really need to be worry about it."
She also said the Hazare-led movement was not the same
thing as a people`s movement and accused the media of
"Obviously people joined in but all of them were not
middle class and many came for a sort of reality show well
orchestrated by media campaigns," she said.
"For a nation of one billion people, the media did not
find anything else to report. Certain major TV channels
campaigned for said to be doing so. That`s a kind of
corruption for me at first place," she said.
"If it was only for TPR then why not to settle for
pornography or something which gives more TRP?" she asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi