Anna movement anti-democratic: Somnath Chatterjee
New Delhi: Former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee said that the Anna Hazare-led movement against corruption is undemocratic and the prime minister is an honest person.
"If the government goes out for the so called people`s movement, then what will happen? There will be election and it will be on the opposition to form the government have they promised to pass the Jan Lokpal bill and can they do it," Chatterjee asked.
In an interview to a news channel, Chatterjee said the demands put forth by Anna and his supporters are "anti-democratic".
"To my mind, from what I have seen, the prime minister is an honest man. The talks...that he should control corruption...it`s not a democratic demand. It sounds rather anti-democratic to me," he said.
"How can you fix a time limit...on what authority are they fixing a time limit," he asked, referring to the demand of civil society activists to pass the anti-graft legislation by August 30.
Gandhian activist Anna Hazare has been on fast since last on Tuesday demanding a strong, anti-corruption Lokpal Bill. Thousands of supporters have joined the movement and are raising anti-government slogans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan