Anna parts ways with Kejriwal; asks not to use his name, photo
New Delhi: Completely distancing himself from Arvind Kejriwal’s move to turn the anti-corruption movement into a political party, social activist Anna Hazare on Wednesday said he will not even campaign for the political outfit.
Speaking to reporters here, Hazare made it clear that he does not support the anti-corruption movement taking a political turn and said Kejriwal should not expect his support for all his candidates.
"If they want to launch a party, let them do it. We won`t bother. We will not go with them. It is not our way... Many people have told me that they want to fight polls," he said.
The anti corruption crusader added, “I will not go with any political party or form any political party as well.”
“Do not use my photo or name for any political campaigning. Do whatever you can on your own basis,” Anna said while addressing the press.
"It is not that if they have 1,000 candidates, I will support all of them. That will not happen," he said.
Further, Anna said that “either the government will bring Lokpal Bill before the 2014 elections or I will die.”
Hazare made the remarks after earlier in the day meeting activists and experts to discuss the future course of action during which divergent opinions emerged over the movement taking a political course.
The meeting was attended by Kejriwal, Kiran Bedi, Prashant Bhushan, Santosh Hegde, Manish Sisodia and Kumar Vishwas, among others.
"There are differences of opinion and we are discussing it. No decision has been arrived yet," Hegde told reporters when he came out during the meeting.
Erstwhile, Team Anna is divided over the issue of taking a political plunge.
Hazare had made it clear yesterday also that he does not support the anti-corruption movement taking a political plunge and told Kejriwal that he cannot expect the activist`s support for all his candidates.
"I had told Arvind (last month during Jantar Mantar agitation) that if you want to form a party, you go ahead but I will not be part of that," he had said yesterday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!