Anna should focus only on corruption: Supporters
New Delhi: While Anna Hazare may have
widened the scope of his agitation to include issues like
electoral reforms and public-flogging of alcoholics, a section
of his supporters at Jantar Mantar feel that the Gandhian
should only concentrate on the core issue of corruption.
Madhu Thakur, a 65-year-old businessman from Golf
link area of the capital, claims to have been a part of
Hazare`s anti-corruption movement from the very beginning.
"I have supported Anna everytime, but he should be
focusing on corruption. Isn`t it irrelevant and unnecessary to
demand flogging of alcoholics or for that matter electoral
"Law and order can take care of that. Hazare should deal
with corruption, the issue for which hundreds are supporting
him," Thakur said.
"One can come up with a number of issues in this country
but the need of the hour is to demand a strong Lokpal bill. If
this demand is fulfilled it would anyway solve 90 per cent
problems of the country. Everything else will follow," opines
P K Verma, a retired defence officer from Haridwar.
Amit Pandey , a research scholar in the Chemistry
department of Delhi University, however, supports the
Gandhian`s demand for public flogging of alcoholics.
"You have to see his intention, while his old-age may
have been the factor behind these remarks but his basic
intention was right," he said.
A group of Delhi University students said, "Anna ji
should take the youth along. If he gives such statements like
flogging and all, then he is in a danger of isolating the
youth from the movement".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?