Anna should focus only on corruption: Supporters
New Delhi: While Anna Hazare may have
widened the scope of his agitation to include issues like
electoral reforms and public-flogging of alcoholics, a section
of his supporters at Jantar Mantar feel that the Gandhian
should only concentrate on the core issue of corruption.
Madhu Thakur, a 65-year-old businessman from Golf
link area of the capital, claims to have been a part of
Hazare`s anti-corruption movement from the very beginning.
"I have supported Anna everytime, but he should be
focusing on corruption. Isn`t it irrelevant and unnecessary to
demand flogging of alcoholics or for that matter electoral
"Law and order can take care of that. Hazare should deal
with corruption, the issue for which hundreds are supporting
him," Thakur said.
"One can come up with a number of issues in this country
but the need of the hour is to demand a strong Lokpal bill. If
this demand is fulfilled it would anyway solve 90 per cent
problems of the country. Everything else will follow," opines
P K Verma, a retired defence officer from Haridwar.
Amit Pandey , a research scholar in the Chemistry
department of Delhi University, however, supports the
Gandhian`s demand for public flogging of alcoholics.
"You have to see his intention, while his old-age may
have been the factor behind these remarks but his basic
intention was right," he said.
A group of Delhi University students said, "Anna ji
should take the youth along. If he gives such statements like
flogging and all, then he is in a danger of isolating the
youth from the movement".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe