Anna should focus only on corruption: Supporters
New Delhi: While Anna Hazare may have
widened the scope of his agitation to include issues like
electoral reforms and public-flogging of alcoholics, a section
of his supporters at Jantar Mantar feel that the Gandhian
should only concentrate on the core issue of corruption.
Madhu Thakur, a 65-year-old businessman from Golf
link area of the capital, claims to have been a part of
Hazare`s anti-corruption movement from the very beginning.
"I have supported Anna everytime, but he should be
focusing on corruption. Isn`t it irrelevant and unnecessary to
demand flogging of alcoholics or for that matter electoral
"Law and order can take care of that. Hazare should deal
with corruption, the issue for which hundreds are supporting
him," Thakur said.
"One can come up with a number of issues in this country
but the need of the hour is to demand a strong Lokpal bill. If
this demand is fulfilled it would anyway solve 90 per cent
problems of the country. Everything else will follow," opines
P K Verma, a retired defence officer from Haridwar.
Amit Pandey , a research scholar in the Chemistry
department of Delhi University, however, supports the
Gandhian`s demand for public flogging of alcoholics.
"You have to see his intention, while his old-age may
have been the factor behind these remarks but his basic
intention was right," he said.
A group of Delhi University students said, "Anna ji
should take the youth along. If he gives such statements like
flogging and all, then he is in a danger of isolating the
youth from the movement".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state