Anna threatens `jail bharo` if demands not met
New Delhi: Stepping up pressure ahead of the indefinite fast from tomorrow, Anna Hazare Tuesday issued a new threat of a `jail bharo` agitation if the government does not concede to their demands in three-four days.
Hazare`s video message came a day ahead of his Team`s fast from tomorrow in Jantar Mantar demanding setting up of a Special Investigation Team to probe corruption allegations levelled by them against Union Ministers, a fast track court to try cases against MPs and bringing a strong Lokpal Bill.
Team Anna members Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia and Gopal Rai will sit on indefinite strike while Hazare will be not take part in the fast due to health reasons but be on dharna.
In his recorded message, Hazare said, "Let us see what the government does during the fast. If the government does not take any decision (on the demands raised by us) in the first three-four days of the agitation, I will tell people across the country to go on jail bharo agitation.
"Not a single prison in the country should remain vacant," he said, adding going to jail for the sake of the country is an "embellishment for your life".
He said people should consider this protest as a second freedom struggle as the government was "not doing anything" to bring a strong Lokpal Bill or taking action against corruption.
"Why they are not bringing Lokpal bill. Because 15 of the 35 ministers face corruption allegations. Probe them. Punish them if they are guilty. But the government is not willing to do so. We are left with only one way (to protest)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Why are Antarctica ice-levels increasing? NASA has the answer!
- Buyout group to back rival's bid for Tata's UK steel assets - Sources
- French Open 2016: Angry Nick Kyrgios, Petra Kvitova pass chilly Roland Garros tests
- Working towards a technology which enables consumer to control electrical appliances at home sitting in office: TPDDL CEO Praveer Sinha
- Modi in Iran: PM promises big celebration of Guru Gobind Singh's birth anniversary