Anna threatens `jail bharo` if demands not met
New Delhi: Stepping up pressure ahead of the indefinite fast from tomorrow, Anna Hazare Tuesday issued a new threat of a `jail bharo` agitation if the government does not concede to their demands in three-four days.
Hazare`s video message came a day ahead of his Team`s fast from tomorrow in Jantar Mantar demanding setting up of a Special Investigation Team to probe corruption allegations levelled by them against Union Ministers, a fast track court to try cases against MPs and bringing a strong Lokpal Bill.
Team Anna members Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia and Gopal Rai will sit on indefinite strike while Hazare will be not take part in the fast due to health reasons but be on dharna.
In his recorded message, Hazare said, "Let us see what the government does during the fast. If the government does not take any decision (on the demands raised by us) in the first three-four days of the agitation, I will tell people across the country to go on jail bharo agitation.
"Not a single prison in the country should remain vacant," he said, adding going to jail for the sake of the country is an "embellishment for your life".
He said people should consider this protest as a second freedom struggle as the government was "not doing anything" to bring a strong Lokpal Bill or taking action against corruption.
"Why they are not bringing Lokpal bill. Because 15 of the 35 ministers face corruption allegations. Probe them. Punish them if they are guilty. But the government is not willing to do so. We are left with only one way (to protest)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Find out which day of the week is dedicated to which Lord!
- Angelique Kerber eyes double delight, aims German Wimbledon & Euros triumph
- Banned Pakistan spin-bowler Danish Kaneria returns home from India
- Seven companies in race to manage EPFO's equity investments in FY17
- BCCI Conclave: DDCA Joint Secretary Vivek Gupta snubbed as he went uninvited!