Anna’s arrest: BJP to hold nation-wide stir
New Delhi: The parliamentary board of the main opposition BJP is meeting on Wednesday to chalk out future strategy for cornering the UPA Government over social crusader Anna Hazare’s arrest yesterday by Delhi Police.
The meeting is being attended by all big shots of the main Opposition party, where the political situation arising out of Hazare’s arrest and government’s response so far is being reviewed.
The saffron party had already announced that it will hold nationwide protests today against what it claimed was the Congress`s move to impose the Emergency again.
Speaking to reporters, BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad today said, “We are seeking an explanation from the Prime Minister himself as to why social activist Anna Hazare and hundreds of his supporters were arrested by Delhi Police. Why is the government trying to scuttle the democratic rights of the people to protests?
Coming down hard on the UPA regime, Prasad said, “This government has rudely suppressed the democratic rights of people to protest peacefully. This fundamental rights cannot be compromised, so the PM as the head of the UOPA government owes an explanation to the people of this country over what has happened in the past 24 hours.”
Stressing that the government, which has been changing its stance every now and then, has succumbed to the growing public anger against it and now trying to persuade Team Anna for a settlement.
He also warned that the proceedings inside the parliament may be disrupted today if PM fails to make a statement in both Houses.
The party brass promptly yesterday held a meeting in L K Advani`s room at the Parliament House to chalk out political strategy for inside both the Houses as well as on the streets.
BJP workers will today take out silent marches, hold dharnas and start torchlight processions to protest the "dictatorship of the UPA, to save democracy and to root out corruption from the country".
Former BJP leaders Rajnath Singh and Yashwant Sinha will lead a march in the national capital today and the party will organise similar protests across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof