Anna’s Lokpal referendum in Sonia`s citadel
New Delhi: Stepping up pressure on lawmakers,
Team Anna would conduct surveys to assess public perception on
Jan Lokpal Bill in Amethi and Rae Bareli, pocket borough of
Nehru-Gandhi family, and other prominent parliamentary
constituencies of UP and Uttarakhand ahead of winter session
"The time till Parliament`s winter session (November) is
important as the Standing Committee considering the Lokpal
bill will hear views of various groups on this issue," Anna
Hazare`s associate and civil society activist Manish Sisodiya
The first question in the "referendum" will be whether the
MPs should support the Jan Lokpal bill proposed by Anna Hazare
or not and the second question will be on whether people
should vote for those MPs who have opposed the Bill, Sisodiya
In UP, the survey will be conduct in the cities of
Rae Bareli, Amethi, Varanasi, Ghaziabad, Lucknow, Ambedkar
Nagar and Mainpuri. In Uttaranchal it will be done in Dehradun
While the constituency of Rae Bareli is represented by
Congress President Sonia Gandhi, AICC General Secretary Rahul
Gandhi has contested election from Amethi parliamentary
In UP, the referendums will be supervised by Sanjay Singh
who is a member of the NGO India Against Corruption.
Members of Team Anna will not have any direct role to
play in these referendums and the entire process will be
monitored by people who were associated with Hazare`s recent
movements, he said.
A similar survey was carried out by Team Anna in July in
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal`s constituency of Chandi Chowk where
it was claimed that an overwhelming 85 per cent of
people had favoured the Jan Lokpal Bill.
Favouring a national referendum on the issue, Anna Hazare
had said the government will have to listen to the voices
Sibal, who was locked in a war of words with Team Anna,
had ridiculed the survey, saying he was surprised why the
support was not 100 per cent.
Meanwhile, a groups of auditors have been engaged by Team
Anna to audit the funds and donation collected during Hazar`s
fast here last month at Ramleela Ground.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!