Another anti-people decision: Mamata Banerjee on decontrol of sugar
Kolkata: Criticising the partial decontrol of sugar, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday dubbed it as another `anti-people` measure by the Centre.
"Partial de-control of sugar -- another anti-people decision has been taken by UPA government.... With sugar becoming more and more expensive, the common people will soon forget the taste of sweetness. If sweetness goes, then what remains in life," Banerjee asked in a Facebook post.
"In a series, Government had increased prices of diesel, petrol and LPG cylinders and also imposed restrictions on the use of subsidized cylinders," she said.
"Today`s decision is another burden on the commoners and their kitchen," Banerjee, the Trinamool Congress chief, said.
Banerjee said that earlier fertiliser prices had similarly gone up after de-control.
"Sweet is an essential part of all important festivals be it `Sewaiyan` for Eid, `Kheer` or `Payas` for other festivals," she said.
After the decision taken yesterday, the government had maintained that it would not lead to any rise in retail prices of sugar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!