Another anti-people decision: Mamata Banerjee on decontrol of sugar
Kolkata: Criticising the partial decontrol of sugar, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday dubbed it as another `anti-people` measure by the Centre.
"Partial de-control of sugar -- another anti-people decision has been taken by UPA government.... With sugar becoming more and more expensive, the common people will soon forget the taste of sweetness. If sweetness goes, then what remains in life," Banerjee asked in a Facebook post.
"In a series, Government had increased prices of diesel, petrol and LPG cylinders and also imposed restrictions on the use of subsidized cylinders," she said.
"Today`s decision is another burden on the commoners and their kitchen," Banerjee, the Trinamool Congress chief, said.
Banerjee said that earlier fertiliser prices had similarly gone up after de-control.
"Sweet is an essential part of all important festivals be it `Sewaiyan` for Eid, `Kheer` or `Payas` for other festivals," she said.
After the decision taken yesterday, the government had maintained that it would not lead to any rise in retail prices of sugar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi