Another contraband haul from train from Pakistan
Attari (Punjab): Fake currency of face value Rs 9.5 lakh and one kg of heroin were recovered from a goods train coming from Pakistan, causing worry to the authorities who say these trains are increasingly becoming a smuggling medium.
"During our daily search operation of the goods train that comes from Pakistan, we found counterfeit currency and heroin hidden in a coach yesterday (Saturday) evening. The notes were of the denomination of Rs 1,000 and Rs 500 and it was very difficult to differentiate between them and the original," S M Akhtar, additional customs commissioner, said Sunday.
"Earlier, on August 10, we had found a packet containing counterfeit currency of the face value of Rs 9 lakh from the same goods train. Despite of our repeated appeals to the Pakistan authorities, they have failed to keep a check on smuggling," Akhtar said.
The goods train from Pakistan arrived at Attari railway station at around 4.00 pm Saturday.
In the past also, the Punjab Police and custom officials have several times recovered contraband smuggled into Indian territory through this train.
However, this was one of the major seizures of fake currency attempted through the train.
"Goods trains have become a medium for smuggling and we are very concerned about this but our Pakistan counterparts are least bothered. We have specifically told them that we would not receive any train during late evening or during night," Akhtar said.
Attari border is around 30 km from Punjab`s holy city Amritsar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Vodafone launches unlimited free voice calling offer for prepaid customers