Another fisherman killed in attack by Lankan Navy
Nagapattinam (TN): In another incident of
alleged attack by Sri Lankan Navy, a fisherman was killed and
two others injured while fishing off Kodiakarai coast in this
The man, who had put out to sea with two others on Saturday from Pushpavanam coastal hamlet, died after Sri Lankan naval
personnel tied a rope around his neck and pushed him into the
water, fisheries department official sources said.
They said the naval patrol boat intercepted the vessel
and its personnel ordered all the fishermen to jump into the
sea. While two did as they were told, the third could not do
so as he had a hand injury following which they threw a rope
around his neck and pushed him out, they said.
The two injured fishermen, who returned this morning with
the body, have been admitted to a hospital.
Top police officials have rushed to the village to take
stock of the situation.
Fishermen of the village did not venture into the sea
today in protest against the continuing attacks.
This is the second such incident this month. On January
12, a Tamil Nadu fisherman was killed after Sri Lankan Navy
allegedly opened fire in mid-sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why