Another fisherman killed in attack by Lankan Navy
Nagapattinam (TN): In another incident of
alleged attack by Sri Lankan Navy, a fisherman was killed and
two others injured while fishing off Kodiakarai coast in this
The man, who had put out to sea with two others on Saturday from Pushpavanam coastal hamlet, died after Sri Lankan naval
personnel tied a rope around his neck and pushed him into the
water, fisheries department official sources said.
They said the naval patrol boat intercepted the vessel
and its personnel ordered all the fishermen to jump into the
sea. While two did as they were told, the third could not do
so as he had a hand injury following which they threw a rope
around his neck and pushed him out, they said.
The two injured fishermen, who returned this morning with
the body, have been admitted to a hospital.
Top police officials have rushed to the village to take
stock of the situation.
Fishermen of the village did not venture into the sea
today in protest against the continuing attacks.
This is the second such incident this month. On January
12, a Tamil Nadu fisherman was killed after Sri Lankan Navy
allegedly opened fire in mid-sea.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Modi finds 'Little India' with Diwali lights, delicious food in Singapore - In Pics
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!