Another fisherman killed in attack by Lankan Navy
Nagapattinam (TN): In another incident of
alleged attack by Sri Lankan Navy, a fisherman was killed and
two others injured while fishing off Kodiakarai coast in this
The man, who had put out to sea with two others on Saturday from Pushpavanam coastal hamlet, died after Sri Lankan naval
personnel tied a rope around his neck and pushed him into the
water, fisheries department official sources said.
They said the naval patrol boat intercepted the vessel
and its personnel ordered all the fishermen to jump into the
sea. While two did as they were told, the third could not do
so as he had a hand injury following which they threw a rope
around his neck and pushed him out, they said.
The two injured fishermen, who returned this morning with
the body, have been admitted to a hospital.
Top police officials have rushed to the village to take
stock of the situation.
Fishermen of the village did not venture into the sea
today in protest against the continuing attacks.
This is the second such incident this month. On January
12, a Tamil Nadu fisherman was killed after Sri Lankan Navy
allegedly opened fire in mid-sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you