Another `honour killing` in Delhi; woman, lover murdered
New Delhi: In yet another case of "honour
killing" in the capital, a class IV government employee and
his lover were murdered allegedly by the woman`s husband and
cousins, her brother and one of her paramours.
The incident was reported from south Delhi`s Sarojini
Nagar and the victims have been identified as Uttam Kumar and
Anju. Six persons, including Anju`s husband Karambir, were
arrested in this regard.
The arrested have been identified as Anju`s alleged
paramour Navin Kumar (24), Jagphool (23), Shokeen (24), Manoj
(27) and Rishi Das (21), her brother.
"The murders were at the hands of close family members.
It is a case of honour killing," a senior police official
said. Anju and Uttam Kumar belonged to different castes.
The incident came to light following investigations into
a complaint filed Kumar`s brother Keshav on June 27 that the
former was missing since June 19. Kumar was working at
Electricity Division of CPWD in Safdarjung Hospital.
During investigation, it came to light that Kumar last
went to the area of Bharthal. It also came to light that he
was in love with one Anju, who had eloped with him earlier.
Investigators found that Anju was murdered allegedly by
Karambir on June 22. Karambir had admitted to killing his
wife, police said.
A senior police official said it also came to light that
Anju was simultaneously having a relationship with one Naveen
Kumar who is her neighbour and working as a driver with a bank
manager in Dwarka.
"She was in contact with him for the last few months and
on June 19 night, she was speaking to him over phone. Naveen
was interrogated and he spilled the beans," the official said.
Naveen told police that he alongwith Karambir and his
brothers Deepak, Manoj and Shokeen and one of the
brothers-in-law Rishi were involved in the killings, the
On June 19 night, Karambir had gone to attend the
birthday party of Rishi at Ayurvigyan Nagar in AIIMS.
"Anju was having frequent talks with Naveen without
letting him know that she had already invited Uttam Kumar to
her house. After the conversation, Naveen had taken his meal
and went out for a stroll in the lane and found that a
motorcycle was parked outside her house," the official said.
He called Anju but her mobile phone was found to be
switched off. He knocked the door on which Anju peeped from
inside the room but did not open it.
"Naveen got angry and called Karambir`s brother Manoj who
then informed Karambir and his cousins Shokeen and Jagphool.
Rishi also reached the spot. They all barged into the house
and caught hold of the deceased and started thrashing him,"
the official said.
They then allegedly forced Uttam Kumar into a car. He
tried to resist but was overpowered by the accused.
"When they reached the toll bridge in Manesar, Uttam
Kumar raised an alarm, on which the accused raised the volume
of the stereo and once they crossed the toll bridge, they
strangled him. After driving some distance from Manesar, they
threw the dead body into a 100 feet deep well on Sabi River
bridge in Dharuhera of Rewari district," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city