Another Indian driver assaulted in Australia
Melbourne: In yet another incident, a 25-year-old Indian cabbie was assaulted here by his two passengers.
Police have asked witnesses to come forward to help them catch a couple who bashed the driver in Melbourne. They have also released images of a couple involved in the attack in the city`s north on Saturday.
However, there is no evidence that the attack was
racially motivated, police said.
The Indian driver told police he called an ambulance
and was treated for facial injuries at the Northern Hospital
after the late night assault. He had stopped at the Summerhill
Hotel in Reservoir on Saturday around 1:25 am (AEDT) where
five people were asking for a ride.
He refused to carry them all, because of the car`s
legal capacity and instead only picked up a man and a woman
from the group. Police said the woman became angry at the
driver for refusing to take her friends with them.
The man then punched the driver as he pulled over on
Plenty Road and continued to assault him as the couple climbed
out of the cab.
The pair caught a tram and got off at a stop across
the street from the Rose Shamrock Hotel, continuing on foot
down a side street.
In the cab driver security camera footage, the man
is shown wearing a white T-shirt with a graphic design on the
front. The woman has her hair pulled back and is drinking a
beverage from an aluminium can.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video