Another Indian nuclear reactor becomes operational
Kota: India’s 19th nuclear power reactor
went into operation tonight at the Rajasthan Atomic Power
Plant near Kota, giving a boost to availability of electricity
in North India.
The indigenous reactor of Rajasthan Atomic Power Project
(RAPP-6) at Rawat Bhata, near Kota, attained its first
criticality at 21:53 hrs today, posting a major milestone in
the project completion process.
Rajasthan Atomic Power Project 5 and 6 comprises of
two Pressurized Heavy Water Reactors (PHWRs) of 220MW each.
The first unit, RAPP-5 achieved first syinchronisation
on December 22, 2009 and RAPP- 6, the second unit, an
indigenous nuclear power reactor has now joined the fleet of
18 nuclear power reactors in operation.
With the operation of RAPP 5 and 6, the installed
capacity has risen to 1180MW. The power will be shared by the
beneficiaries of Northern Electricity Grid.
Both Units 5 and 6 of RAPP are using uranium imported
from Russia and are under India-specific safeguards agreement
of International Atomic Energy Agency as per the separation
plan of military and civilian nuclear power plants agreed
under the landmark Indo-US civil nuclear deal.
With the operationalization of RAPP6, the overall
installed capacity of nulcear power in India has gone upto
The reactors have been designed and built by Nuclear
Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL), a public sector
undertaking under the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in