Another shootout in Srinagar’s Lal Chowk, one killed
Srinagar: One person was killed and four
others were injured, including two CRPF personnel, when ultras
struck the heavily-guarded Lal Chowk commercial hub of the
city today, the fourth attack here within a week.
Three civilians identified as Mehrajuddin Wani of
Rainawari locality, Mehrajuddin Shah of Nawa Kadal and
Khursheed Ahmad Parray of Khansahib area of Budgam district
received gun shot wounds in the attack and were admitted to a
hospital where Parray (28) succumbed to his injuries, official
They said the condition of another civilian and a CRPF
jawan, among the two of the injured from the force, was
The militants fired a volley of shots on CRPF personnel
patrolling the Koker Bazar area of Lal Chowk around 1130
hours, injuring two CRPF personnel, force spokesman Prabakar
Tripathi said. The ultras then fled from the spot.
Al-Nasireen and Farzandan-e-millat, shadow outfits of
Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba, claimed responsibility for the
attack. A caller introducing himself as Sami-ul-Haq, claiming
to be the spokesman of the outfits, telephoned PTI saying the
two outfits were behind the attack.
Tripathi identified the injured CRPF personnel as
havaldar Omkar Ram and constable Basant Kumar of 132 battalion
of the paramilitary force. Ram received gun shots in his neck
while Kumar was shot in the stomach.
The attack by militants came despite tight security
arrangements made by the police in view of intelligence inputs
that militants are planning to attack the city.
At least 30,000 police and paramilitary personnel have
been patrolling the city and carrying out searches of vehicles
and frisking of pedestrians for the past few days.
Police and security forces immediately cordoned off
the area to nab the militants involved in the firing which
triggered panic in the over-crowded area. Several shopkeepers
abandoned their shops and ran for cover.
The incident was the fourth in a series of attacks
carried out by militants in the city within a week.
On March 14, militants attacked a CRPF patrol with
grenades near a police station in downtown Srinagar, killing a
jawan and injuring five others.
Earlier on March 7, militants shot dead a surrendered
militant Aijaz Ahmad Dada outside his house at Bemina. The
incident was followed by the killing of special police officer
Mohammad Arif Bhat by militants near Abu Baker Masjid in Posh
Jawahar Nagar locality on March 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug