Ansari begins consultations on SC/ST promotions bill
New Delhi: Amid diverse pulls and pressures from SP and BSP, government has started intense consultations to find a way out of the deadlock over the bill providing for reservation to SC/STs in government job promotions.
As part of the consultations, Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari on Monday held a meeting of various political parties in his chamber, with Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley, BSP leader Satish Mishra, SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath and MoS in PMO V Narayanasamy attending it.
While Ram Gopal Yadav has pledged to talk to SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, Satish Mishra is set to talk to BSP chief Mayawati to find a way out.
Pushed by BSP chief Mayawati, the government is under pressure to get the bill passed in the Upper House after BSP backed it in both Houses of Parliament on FDI in retail.
Mayawati has said she will be forced to take a tough stand if the amendment bill is not passed.
"UPA must ensure that there is debate on quota bill in Parliament," Mayawati said, adding "it is upto the Rajya Sabha Chairman to ensure that there is order in the House and it runs smoothly to pass the Bill."
Narayanasamy said "the government is committed to SC/ST Bill bill and get it passed in this session itself and is holding consultations in this regard. The PM has also held two all-party meetings on this issue."
Threatening to stall Rajya Sabha proceedings if the government pushed for the bill, SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav said "we will disrupt the House and not allow it to function if the Bill is passed. We will continue to oppose the Bill and we are ready for suspension."
Congress Spokesman PC Chacko said while the Bill is the commitment of Congress party, "ultimately, it is the collective wisdom of Parliament" that will decide on the issue.
Chacko said "the House has to decide. Our commitment is clear. This is not something that has to do with the present context (linking it with FDI). We hope this reservation is given full support by all parties. We cannot compromise on it as we have pushed it. It is a political commitment of Congress party. We fully support it."
Mayawati earlier said "we will see for two-three days more. We will see the government`s stand on the issue. What they do and what the Chairman of the Rajya Sabha says. Then, we will decide and a take a tough stand. The SC/ST bill is a very serious issue for us."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800