Ansari in Perth for CHOGM summit
Perth: Vice-President Hamid Ansari arrived
here today to participate in the Commonwealth Heads of
Government meeting where India is set to oppose setting up of
a human rights monitor and reject any move to reconsider Sri
Lanka as a venue of the next summit.
Ansari, who is standing in for Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh at the summit, is expected to underline that the
grouping stay focussed on development challenges faced by
member nations and strengthen existing institutions.
Ansari and his wife Salma were received at the airport
here by Australian Defence Minister Stephen Smith and Brenden
Grills, the Regional Development Minister of Western
India has made it clear at official level meetings that
one of the recommendations of the 11-member Eminent Persons
Group on setting up of a rights monitor amounted to
duplication of what the UN has been doing through its
On demands by a section of members to reconsider Sri
Lanka as the host of the next CHOGM summit, Ansari a decision
to hold the next CHOGM in Sri Lanka was already taken in 2009.
"Well, as far as we are concerned, the decision to have
the next CHOGM in 2013 was taken at the meeting in Port of
That is a decision and that is the end of the matter,"
Ansari told reporters accompanying him to Perth.
The demands for change in venue of the next summit in Sri
Lanka has been raised by an influential section of members who
have questioned the island nation`s record on alleged war
crimes during its fight against LTTE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners