Ansari in Perth for CHOGM summit
Perth: Vice-President Hamid Ansari arrived
here today to participate in the Commonwealth Heads of
Government meeting where India is set to oppose setting up of
a human rights monitor and reject any move to reconsider Sri
Lanka as a venue of the next summit.
Ansari, who is standing in for Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh at the summit, is expected to underline that the
grouping stay focussed on development challenges faced by
member nations and strengthen existing institutions.
Ansari and his wife Salma were received at the airport
here by Australian Defence Minister Stephen Smith and Brenden
Grills, the Regional Development Minister of Western
India has made it clear at official level meetings that
one of the recommendations of the 11-member Eminent Persons
Group on setting up of a rights monitor amounted to
duplication of what the UN has been doing through its
On demands by a section of members to reconsider Sri
Lanka as the host of the next CHOGM summit, Ansari a decision
to hold the next CHOGM in Sri Lanka was already taken in 2009.
"Well, as far as we are concerned, the decision to have
the next CHOGM in 2013 was taken at the meeting in Port of
That is a decision and that is the end of the matter,"
Ansari told reporters accompanying him to Perth.
The demands for change in venue of the next summit in Sri
Lanka has been raised by an influential section of members who
have questioned the island nation`s record on alleged war
crimes during its fight against LTTE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars