Ansari, Jaswant among 34 in fray for VPs poll
New Delhi: UPA nominee Hamid Ansari and NDA candidate Jaswant Singh are among 34 people who have filed nominations for the August 7 Vice Presidential election.
On the last day of filing nominations today, seven people, including Singh, filed their papers before the Returning Officer.
Though the scrutiny will take place tomorrow morning, four nomination papers were rejected forthwith for failing to comply with the basic requirement of attaching a certified copy of the entry relating to the candidate of the Parliamentary constituency he is registered in.
While Ansari, who filed his papers on July 18 filed four sets of nomination papers, Singh filed three. Sunita Chaudhury, a Delhi resident was another candidate to file four sets of papers. But her papers do not have the names of 20 proposer MPs and as many seconder MPs.
The candidates can withdraw their nominations till July 23.
The Vice-President is elected through a direct ballot with Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha members (including nominated) comprising the electoral college.
A total of 790 MPs are eligible to cast their vote on August 7 to elect the 14th Vice President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing