Ansari, Sabauddin acquittal to be challenged

Citing lack of evidence, the court acquitted alleged co-conspirators Ansari and Sabauddin.

Updated: May 03, 2010, 17:06 PM IST

Mumbai: The acquittal for Fahim Ansari and Sabauddin will be challenged, prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said Monday, shortly after the special court hearing the 26/11 attack case set two Indian co-accused free while declaring Pakistani national Ajmal Amir Kasab guilty.

He said Ansari and Sabauddin were "notorious terrorists". They were active members of the Lashkar-e-Taiba and were "not passive sleepers", Nikam told reporters after the verdict in the case by Special Judge ML Tahalyani.

"I will challenge this verdict. We will recommend to the government to challenge this verdict," Nikam said.

Nikam said Kasab had been declared guilty on all counts.

"Kasab has been declared guilty on charges of waging war against the Indian state. Today we conclusively proved how terrorists are trained in a neighbouring country, how terrorist activities go on there."

IANS