Ansari wants penalties for filing frivolous RTI applications
New Delhi: Backing the Government`s proposal
on curbing "frivolous and vexatious" RTI applications, one of
the Information Commissioners at the Central Information
Commission, M M Ansari, on Tuesday advocated for powers to the
transparency panel to impose costs on such applicants.
In his papers submitted during the first foundation day
lecture of CIC here, Ansari said,"the cost to the government
in servicing an RTI application varies between Rs 10 to Rs
30,000, the ultimate burden of which is borne by the tax
"Even though the net benefit of the use of the
information laws may be higher than the cost to the society,
there is need to discourage frivolous and vexatious
"Suitable provisions for awarding costs -- similar to the
one enjoyed by courts and the proposed provision in
Whistleblower Act should be considered so as to minimise
misuse the provisions of the RTI Act by disgruntled elements,"
Government had mooted the proposal to make amendments in
the RTI Act to curb vexatious and frivolous applications but
during a meeting of all Information Commissioners from across
the country last year, this proposal was strongly opposed.
A huge majority of Information Commissioners were
against making such changes in the Act which reportedly forced
the government to rethink on it, one of the Information
Commissioners at the CIC said.
"Only very little percentage of applications can be
categorised under the such category. Even the bureaucracy
feels that their work does not suffer because of these
applications. Then where is the need for punishing RTI
applicants," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Government to set up special court for all NSEL cases
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned for Rs 14 lakh
- Fourteen killed, over 20 wounded in suicide attack in Iraq's Kadhmiyah
- Meet 'Chaani-Sarman' from Ashutosh Gowariker's 'Mohenjo Daro'- See new poster
- Srinagar-Muzaffarbad bus service to resume tomorrow